What rights do landlords have?
Most standard rental agreements allow landlords to:
- Set the rental price
- Collect a bond (some maximums apply)
- Set an agreed start and finish date of the agreement
- Give notice to conduct inspections
- Give notice to enter the property to make repairs
- Require tenants to take good care of the property
- Apply for a bond to be withheld to cover damage or rental arrears
CHU Landlords Insurance covers you for the actual cost of repairs, rent recovery, legal liability to others and more.
Achieving mutual respect
The best tenant-landlord relationships are ones built on clear communication and a mutual understanding and respect of each other’s needs. The landlord wants a secure, appreciating investment bringing in a reliable and healthy income with minimal fuss. Tenants want a place to call home that’s not only private and comfortable but also properly maintained.
It should not be a difficult balance to achieve, especially if everything is made clear in the initial tenancy agreement and both parties comply with their legal obligations.